Once again I have tried another recipe for Ben. At this point I am ready to shoot myself with all the work that goes into this, and the 1 bite I get out of him. I WILL find healthy food this child likes if it kills me. Not sure how healthy this recipe really is since I am pretty sure I accidently doubled the mozzarella cheese, but it’s spinach, and it is homemade, so that counts for something! I am loving the Weelicious website lately for recipe inspiration for Ben. I highly recommend it if you are in a rut with food!
Spinach Ricotta Bites
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 2 Large Eggs, Beaten (try to use organic)
- 1 Cup Ricotta Cheese (I used Polly-o part skim)
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded (I used Polly-o part skim)
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated (I just used locatelli and that worked fine)
- 1 10 Oz Pkg Frozen Chopped Spinach, defrosted and drained WELL (I use my hands to squeeze as much liquid out of the spinach as possible)
- 1/4 Tsp Salt (I only used a tiny pinch)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat and cook the onions for 4 minutes until tender.
3. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute then set aside to cool.
4. Whisk eggs in a bowl and stir in ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
5. Once combined, stir in spinach, salt and cooled onion and garlic mixture.
6. Pour the mixture into lightly greased mini muffin cups.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the filling is set and golden on top.
*I omitted the yellow onion and garlic because I was onion-less. I listed the other modifications I made above.
THE VERDICT: Wow, these are really delicious. Too bad Ben doesn’t seem to think so. He had ONE bite and it took him about an hour to finally pick it up. Sooo, I’ll keep trying. I might freeze some when we go to Europe so he can have them when we get back. He is obsessed with Dr. Praeger’s Spinach Littles, and let’s face it…these are a million times yummier.
I also wanted to share a great article by a new website I found, Food Babe. Here she lists a lot of really persuading reasons to eat less meat. We have really cut back on our meat intake in this house. Maybe once a week we make a salsa chicken, but other than that there is zero red meat and only fake chicken around these parts. (Dan occasionally orders a burger when, say, he’s about to run 13.1 miles the next morning. Forgiven.) Anyway, enjoy!!