Today I also attempted these Carrot Snack Sticks from Weelicious (since I am Super Mom). I underestimated how difficult they would be (for me at least). The dough was very hard and I had to add more oil than called for. Eventually I was able to get the dough to work, but mine never looked very pretty.
Carrot Snack Sticks
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Carrot, finely shredded and thin
- 2 Tbsp Canola or Vegetable Oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine the first four ingredients and stir to combine.
3. Using your hands, add the carrots to the flour mixture coating the carrot pieces with flour.
4. Add the oil and work with your hands to bring the dough together.
(You really have to be patient with working this dough together so that the flour absorbs the oil. If you are concerned that it is not coming together, just add 1 extra tsp of oil to the dough and work it with your hands forming a ball until it comes together.)
5. Form the carrot parmesan dough into a flat rectangular disk and allow to rest for 1-2 minutes then roll out 1/2 inch thick on parchment paper or a dry clean surface.
6. Using a knife, cut the dough into sticks, 2 inches long by 1/4 inch wide.
7. Bake on parchment lined cookie sheet for 15-17 minutes.
8. Cool and serve.
THE VERDICT: Ben has taken one bite and then attempted to feed it to the dog. He doesn’t seem to DISLIKE them, but it isn’t the huge hit I was hoping for the amount of work.
I also decided to try this make-shift baked ziti for Ben since I had so many leftover veggies and half a container of ricotta cheese from my muffins. It was so simple: I used Barilla Mini Farfalle with Tomatoes & Carrots, marinara sauce, Polly-O mozzarella cheese, shredded zucchini & carrots, Polly-O part skim ricotta cheese, 1 egg and locatelli cheese (to taste). I just added it all together in a corning ware dish and put it in the oven! Here is the finished product. I’m thinking Ben will enjoy this, since he really likes pasta and ricotta cheese (who doesn’t?)
No verdict yet, but will see what he thinks tonight for dinner! He has also taken Bite #2 from his carrot stick. Not a total failure!