So last night Dan & I decided to attempt soft pretzels! These were so fun to make and came out GREAT!
Here are some pictures of Dan working hard!
The finished product!
Soft Pretzel Recipe:
1/8 cup hot water
1 package active dry yeast
1 1/3 cup warm water
1/3 cup brown sugar
4 cups all-purpose flour
Coarse kosher salt (we use sea salt)
Butter(to grease cookie sheets)
Vegetable oil (to grease counter)
1 egg, beaten + 1 tbsp water (to brush the pretzels with before baking)
– In a large bowl, mix together 1/8 cup hot water and 1 package active dry yeast until the yeast dissolves.
– Stir in the 1 1/3 cup warm water and 1/3 cup brown sugar and continue stirring until the brown sugar dissolves.
– Slowly add 4 cups of flour, stirring constantly
– Continue stirring the mixture until it is smooth and does not stick to the sides of the bowl
To continue by hand: flour the counter lightly, and flour your hands. Knead the dough until it is stretchy and smooth.
– Lightly oil your counter
– Grease your cookie sheets generously with butter or shortening. It is very important that you grease the cookie sheets well!
– Sprinkle greased cookie sheets with kosher salt.
– Preheat oven to 475 degrees Farenheit.
– Using a liquid measuring cup, fill a large saucepan at least 1/2 full of water. For each 1 cup of water you add, add 1 tablespoon of baking soda.
– Divide the dough into 4 even pieces, and shape them like a pretzel.
– Bring the water and baking soda in the saucepan to a gentle boil.
– Using a spatula, gently lower each pretzel into the water one-by-one — counting slowly to 30 before removing the pretzel from the water and placing it on the cookie sheet.
– Repeat until all pretzels are done.
– When all pretzels have been boiled, lightly brush each pretzel with the egg+1 tbsp water mixture, then sprinkle with more kosher salt.
– Bake for 8 minutes, or until the pretzels are golden.